The Government of the Republic of Cyprus recently announced a specific visa programme, with several incentives for people who would like to take advantage of all the benefits of living on the island, while working for companies who operate outside the country. The programme aims to contribute to the transformation of the business ecosystem and the economic development of the country, by attracting talented individuals and entrepreneurs.
What is a digital nomad visa?
It is a new type of residence permit, for people who wish to live only in Cyprus but work for companies operating abroad, given especially the rapid rise of “remote working” policies adopted by several companies worldwide.
Who can apply for the digital nomad visa?
The beneficiaries for the digital nomad visa are third country (non-EU or non-EEA) nationals who:
- work remotely using information and communications technology,
- are employed and work remotely by their own company or another company, located outside of the Republic of Cyprus or are self-employed and their customers are located outside of the Republic of Cyprus,
- can prove that they have sufficient and adequate monthly income to support their living in Cyprus, of at least €3.500, after the deduction of contributions and taxes.
It should be noted that there is an initial limit of 500 applications.
What are the benefits of the digital nomad visa?
Individuals granted with a Digital Nomad residence permit will benefit from:
- The right to stay in the country for up to one year, with the possibility to renew for two more years.
- Their family members can also stay in Cyprus for the same period and be granted with a residence permit that expires at the same time as the permit of the individual. However, during their stay in Cyprus, the family members are not allowed to provide dependent work or to engage in any kind of economic activity in the country.
- If they spend more than 183 days in Cyprus during the same calendar year, then they will be considered Cyprus tax residents. Those that spend less than 183 days in Cyprus but over 60 days, can still be considered Cyprus tax residents if they meet some additional criteria.
How to obtain the Digital Nomad visa?
Within three months from his/her arrival to Cyprus, the applicant must apply to the Civil Registry and Migration Department, along with the required documents. The applicant can enter Cyprus with the use of a tourist visa (if applicable).
If the applicant is residing in Cyprus under a different status, he/she can apply to the Civil Registry and Migration Department, to obtain the digital nomad visa, provided that the relevant prerequisites are met.
Prerequisites (among others)
- There is a minimum threshold of funds coming from abroad (supported by salary, bank statements, etc.) set to €3.500 per month, increased by 20% for the spouse and by 15% for any minor child.
- Medical insurance that covers in-patient, out-patient and transportation of mortal remains.
- Declaration, that the applicant and his dependent family members, do not intend to work, or to provide services or to be engaged in any form of business with any companies or clients located in Cyprus.
- Clean criminal record certificate from the country of residence.
- Must have a suitable accommodation in the Republic of Cyprus.
Time of examination
The time of examination of the application is approximately 5-7 weeks from the date of its submission to the Civil Registry and Migration Department.